Award-winning biographer and children’s nonfiction author Ann Bausum sends the following information about the Society of Midland Authors and its program for book awards:As residents of the Midwest, all of us are eligible to enter our books in these annual contests. Award categories include children’s fiction and children’s nonfiction. Individuals with long-standing ties to the Midwest are eligible to enter the contest, too (even if they no longer live here).
See below for the details of the awards and the entry process. (I hope the text that I am forwarding travels well!) Take note that the deadline for entries is approaching: February 1.
Best wishes for the new year,
Feb. 1 is the deadline to enter the Society of Midland Authors awards competition for books published in 2013.
The Society of Midland Authors literary awards recognize excellence–the best books of their kind by Midwestern writers. Our judges will select one winner in each category and may also select one or two finalists as worthy of recognition. Each winner will receive $500 and a recognition plaque, and each finalist will receive a plaque, at an awards banquet on May 13, 2014, in Chicago.A book may be nominated by its author or publisher. Please read the following rules carefully before submitting:
- An entry form must accompany each book to each judge for a total of three forms per title (three judges, three forms, three books). Books unaccompanied by completed entry forms will not be considered.
- There is no entry fee and the author need not be a member of the SMA.
- The book must have been published in 2013 (with a corresponding copyright date) and the author must reside in, be born in, or have strong ties to one of the 12 Midland states: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota and Wisconsin.
- At this time, we do not consider e-book originals unless there is a corresponding print edition.
- Books by deceased authors are eligible, provided they meet the other requirements.
- Submissions must be postmarked by February 1, 2014. We strongly encourage early submissions.To enter this year’s competition, print out the entry form posted at http://www.midlandauthors.com/contest_form.html and include a completed copy with each nominated book mailed to the judges (again: three judges, three forms, three books). Make sure that you enter the book in the proper category (Adult Fiction, Adult Nonfiction, Biography & Memoir (adult), Children’s Fiction, Children’s Nonfiction, or Poetry). Books entered in improper categories will be disqualified.
THE JUDGES ARE:Adult Fiction
- Billy Lombardo, 13 Bergman Ct., Forest Park IL 60130
- Patricia Ann McNair, Fiction Writing Department, Columbia College Chicago, 600 S. Michigan Ave., Chicago IL 60605
- Bayo Ojikutu, 6238 South Ellis Ave Unit #3, Chicago, IL 60637-2975Adult Nonfiction
- John Hallwas, 404 S. Edwards St., Macomb IL 61455
- Re’Lynn Hansen, 14388 Lakeshore Road, Lakeside MI 49116
- James Merriner, 530 Michigan Ave. #3E, Evanston IL 60202Biography & Memoir (Adult)
- Ray Boomhower, Indiana Historical Society Press, 450 W. Ohio St., Indianapolis IN 46202-3269
- Diane Diekman, Realty Center, 3023 E. 10th St., Sioux Falls SD 57103
- Gerry Souter, 905 E. Frederick St., Arlington Heights IL 60004-5737Children’s Fiction
- Charlotte Herman, 6623 N. Monticello, Lincolnwood IL 60712
- Marianne Malone, 408 E. Oakbrook Circle, Urbana IL 61802
- Gary Schmidt, Department of English, Calvin College, 1795 Knollcrest Circle SE, Grand Rapids MI 49546Children’s Nonfiction
- Ann Bausum, 613 Monroe Street, Janesville WI 53545-1783
- Marlene Targ Brill, 314 Lawndale, Wilmette IL 60091
- Andrew Medlar, Harold Washington Library Center, 400 S. State St., 10-S, Chicago IL 60605Poetry
- Mark Eleveld, 305 Brooks Ave., Joliet IL 60435
- Dr. Haki R. Madhubuti, c/o Third World Press, 7822 S. Dobson Avenue, Chicago IL 60619-0730
- Donna Seaman, 4159 N. Lawndale Ave., Chicago IL 60618Should you have any questions, or to confirm that judges have received submitted books, email Society President Meg Tebo: email@example.com.For CWW contests categories, rules and awards — entry deadline is January 31–please go to http://www.wiswriters.org.
January 7, 2014 · 5:59 pm