The Council for Wisconsin Writers is accepting entries for its 2014 contests. The contests entry postmark deadline is January 31, 2015. Authors and poets who enter must be current Wisconsin residents. The entry fee is $20 for non-CWW members and $15 for CWW members. Membership in CWW is not required. Out-of-state judges will make the selections. Following are the entry categories and name of the judges:
• Zona Gale Award for Short Fiction, Chad Simpson
• Edna Meudt Poetry Book Award, Joseph Millar
• Tofte/Wright Children’s Book Award, Jenn Crowell
• Nobert Blei/August Derleth Nonfiction Book Award, Scott Korb
• Edna Ferber Fiction Book Award, Lee K. Abbot
• Lorine Niedecker Poetry Award, Jericho Brown
• Kay W. Levin Award for Short Non-Fiction, Kerry Cohen
• Christopher Latham Sholes Award for outstanding encouragement of Wisconsin Writers, CWW board members will judge
First-place winners will receive $500 and a week-long writers’ residency at Shake Rag Alley Center for Arts and Crafts in Mineral Point. Awards will be presented in a banquet at the Wisconsin Club in Milwaukee in May 2015.
CWW also sponsors an Essay Award for Young Writers (1500 word maximum) for Wisconsin high school students; there is no entry fee. The winning student will receive $250. Members of the board will judge. Postmark deadline for the student essay contest is also January 31, 2015.
Specific guidelines, entry forms, judge’s bios, and important additional information for each award category are available on the awards section of the CWW website at http://www.wiswriters.org/rules.htm.